Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fixed width text file - increasing data available to preview in Flat File Layout screen

oracleoftemple
9 - Comet

I'm trying to import a fixed width text file, but I can only preview the first 15 rows of data on the Flat File Layout screen where I define my column widths.  Is there any way to increase the amount of data available for preview at this point?

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @oracleoftemple

Setting up fixed widths for a text file in Alteryx is not great! I've been there... 

2 options I can suggest that I've done before:

1. Open the file in Excel and do the fixed width spacing there. Note the widths and apply them in Alteryx (if I remember correctly you had to slightly edit them, plus 1 or so - just watch out for that)

2. Import it as having no delimiters and then use regex and other forms of parsing to break it into columns.

Hope that helps!

Kat

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I echo @kat's statements, especially the last one.

I don't particularly enjoy using the width spacing tool in Alteryx so when I have had to do a similar task in the past I have used, rather than Regex as Kat suggested, a lookup table which allows me to acknowledge what characters are associated with what field.

I've attached a very crude example but you get the gist :)

Perhaps one reason I would choose this over a regex solution as it's very easy for someone external to maintain the mapping table if the fixed widths change.

Ben

oracleoftemple
9 - Comet

Thanks! I went with option 1.  Not quite at the regex level yet.

oracleoftemple
9 - Comet

I LOVE that workflow!

kwilkins
7 - Meteor

Love this workflow!!! I'm sure I'll be reusing it!!!

Labels