Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Existing table not found when using Write Data In-DB tool

gkresge
5 - Atom

I am receiving the below error when trying to write to an existing table. 

Error: Write Data In-DB (9): Error SQLPrepare: [Cloudera][SQLEngine] (31740) Table or view not found: HIVE.<MY_SCHEMA>.<MY_TABLE>

This table was created using the same workflow - just used the Create New Table output mode in the write tool. Table can be queried and contains data. When trying to overwrite or append, I receive this table not found error.

Any thoughts on how to get around this issue would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hello @gkresge.

This seems to be an error happening in Cloudera, that Alteryx is just letting you know about. 

Here is a thread in the Cloudera community about it: https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Hortonworks-odbc-driver-fail-to-access-table-col...

Here is a stack overflow thread with the same solution: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46390062/hortonworks-table-or-view-not-found-when-querying-hive-...

It seems like it's an ODBC driver issue? Something in the settings. I am unfamiliar with the Cloudera ODBC driver but it looks like you are just switching the "UseNativeQuery" flag from 0 to 1.

If this works, please let us know as you seem to be the first one to post about it on this community. Also @patrick_mcauliffe seems to have some experience in this space.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @gkresge 

Cloudera is not my favorite, but @Treyson is right - I have gone through a lot with Cloudera.

He also hit the points I would first:

1. You have permissions set up to do so, correct?

2. How is your ODBC driver set up?  Can you post a screenshot (black out the DSN address and any sensitive information)?  

Usually Hive systems will throw "HIVE." in front of the schema if there is a problem with the defined default database.  We would see that in the ODBC set up.

3. Finally, how are you naming the table?  Hive is very sensitive about syntax.  Usually you have to use a fully qualified name in specific places.

gkresge
5 - Atom

"just switching the "UseNativeQuery" flag from 0 to 1" seems to have done it.

Thanks @Treyson! Thanks as well @patrick_mcauliffe!

Labels