Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error Connecting to SFTP from Alteryx Designer

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am having problem connecting to SFTP from Alteryx Designer. I have tested 2 methods to connect. Below are the descriptions of the method that I have attempted:

Method #1

Connect using Text Input tool + Download tool. I refer to the link below:
Solved: Download from SFTP - Alteryx Community

Unfortunately I encountered the message "Error Transferring Data: Failed Initialization". When I searched for the error on Community it says "there is no workaround besides making sure any cipher suites we propose exist on the host server". 

I believe we still cannot connect to SHA2 SFTP.

Please refer link below:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Error-transferring-data-failed-init...

Method#2

I downloaded alteryx 3rd party SFTP tool (.yxi) from Github and tested the connection. Please refer the links below from both Alteryx Community and Github:

SFTP tools for Alteryx - Alteryx Community

Releases · SKOPOS-ELEMENTS/SFTPTools_Alteryx · GitHub

I have tested the connection through Alteryx Designer version 2020.3 and I achieved to connect to the SFTP. Unfortunately, after I have updated the Alteryx Designer to the latest version 2021.1 I am unable to install the .yxi tool which I believe is due to to the 3rd party tool not supporting the latest Python package (3.8). I am aware that since Alteryx Designer version 2020.4 the Python package is upgraded from version 3.6 to version 3.8 hence why the tool fail to install.

I have searched the Alteryx forum anything on connecting to SFTP and tested all the suggested solutions but unfortunately I am still unable to connect and encounter errors.

Is there any solution to this issue? I really appreciate if anyone can help or suggest me solutions on this. Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@hisyam10 

I was able to resolve installation failures for method #2 by updating the cryptography python package in requirements.txt for each SFTP tool. 

The following steps should resolve the error:

1. Open the yxi as a zip file (If you have 7-zip installed, you can right click the yxi in file explorer and select "open archive")

2. Locate the folders for both the SFTP Upload and Download tools

3. Inside each tool folder should be a file named "requirements.txt"

4. Open the text files and change line "cryptography==2.7" to "cryptography==3.4.6" 

5. Save the files

6. Run the yxi 

Thanks! 

Jake

Jake Samuels

Principal Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels