Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically Create List Box Values From Input File (From a particular row in the sheet)

RG_WC
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have an excel sheet (attached: 'Input_File.xlsx' for which the fields names/column names starts at 6th row). In my Alteryx app, i use 2 interface tools - file browse and list box. 

My requirement:

The input file I select might be having column names that varies with file to file (but all the column names start from 6th row). So, the cascading should happen to the list box which lists all the column names in the file dynamically on the fly once the input file  is selected in the interface itself.

Need/Ask:

I designed a flow (attached: 'Flow-1.yxwz' ). Flow-1 has the list box connected to file browse. Though it is dynamically populating the fields in the list box asper the input selection in the interface itself, i need to have the control to populate the list box from 6th row (as of now, it populates from 1st row which is fine but not meeting my requirement).

So, i need to have some work-around in between the file browse and list box to have the cascading happen from 6th row in the selected file.

2 REPLIES 2
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @RG_WC 

Some thoughts for you to explore:

The list box tool has an example where the inputs are updated based on a user specified file that is input. You get to this by right clicking on the tool and selecting "Open Example"

cgoodman3_0-1618990959403.png

The example you want is there one on the far right where there are file browse and list box tools.

cgoodman3_1-1618991047605.png

Testing this with two files, 1) where the header is in the first row of data and 2) where it's in the 6th row seem to work for me, but on example 2 the dataset is blank above this.

When setting up the file, there is an option in the configuration pane to input data from a fixed row however this seems to be ignored.

cgoodman3_2-1618991207706.png

So if the above approach doesn't work (it works for me but I don't think it's fail safe), then the other route is to try  a chained app.

In the first set you just read in the file where you can specify via interface tools which record contains the header etc, and write the result out with the headers transposed as Name and Value fields as a new file.

In the second step you use that newly created file to drive the inputs for the list box tool, as below:

cgoodman3_3-1618991603250.png

Hopefully those are some useful pointers you can try to develop your workflow further.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
ChristianCartagena_
6 - Meteoroid
  1. I have a zip file with multiple files inside. When I put the zip file into alteryx it pops up as a directory input. I am trying to create a list box allowing me to select which file I want to run inside the zip file. Any help?? thank you
Labels