Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Difficult formula or filter criteria

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I run a weekly workflow based on people leaving our Firm, and sending them email reminders to return their IT equipment.
 prior to their departure.

The workflow has worked fine up to now, but I have just notice a flaw in my logic.

Occasionally we have a situation where someone 'resigns' from the firm, but then rescinds their request - my workflow only picks up the terminations that are competed successfully -  it does not pick up where resignations are rescinded, leaving my team with a slight embarrassment.

In the example below John Smith has resigned and is leaving on 30th Oct, and his request was completed on 25th Oct. 

On 27th Oct he rescinded his resignation, cancelling out the original request,

Departer nameBusiness Process TypeTransaction statusCompleted DateDeparture Date
John SmithTerminationCompleted successfully25-Oct-1930-Oct-19
John SmithTerminationRescinded27-Oct-1930-Oct-19

Is it possible to set up a filter or formal that would resolve this ?

I have limited knowledge of Alteryx Workflow, and just don't have the brainpower to work this question out. 😆

14 REPLIES 14
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @StephenT , I believe this can help you.

grazitti_sapna_1-1604637073263.png

grazitti_sapna_0-1604637042508.png

You can first filter out those people on the basis of transaction status= Rescinded then you can join true and false on the basis of departer name where John Smith will come in joined section as it has two requests that record can be discarded and the right outer join records can be your original records that have initiated termination process.

I hope this helps, kindly mark this post as solution.

Thanks

Sapna Gupta
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenT 
I hope I understand your request correctly.
I added some dummy data, and want to pick up only John Smith2 and 3, if that is correct.

1106-StephenT1.PNG1106-StephenT.PNG

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@grazitti_sapna 

Our solution is basically same😁

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Qiu , I could not think of anything else 🤣

Sapna Gupta
StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Qui and @grazitti_sapna 

I have tested your workflows, and they appear to be what I am after. I added your workflows to mine ( created 2 test workflows) but unfortunately there are no rescinded terminations today - I have dummied up the latest system report and it seems to work, after changing a few terminations to rescinded 😁

Next time I run the workflow will be this Thursday and next Monday - if i can find a rescinded termination, and it is picked up on the samples you gave me I'll mark it as "resolved" and click the 'Like" button

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I have good news and bad news :

The good news : the crtieria you suggested works for terminations that have been processed "successfully" then rescinded which covers 95% of all of our terminations 😁

The bad news: i just found an issue where a termination if processed "successfully" (e.g. for 4th Oct) then rescinded, then processed successfully for a later day (e.g. 19th Oct) the workflow drops it from the report, treating it as a rescinded termination

Is it possible to add a criteria that if the successfully completed termination appears after the rescinded termination then it is to be processed as a 'normal' termination and if the rescinded termination appears after the completed termination then it is to be dropped.

Is there a way to do this ?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenT 
So take a sample below, the Smith5 regrets his resignation before the procees even completed. So we treats this as completed?

Basically we need to compare the Date.

Let me know what do you think?

1106-StephenT2.PNG

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Qiu 

Can you re-attach the file, as it's not fully/correctly uploaded - showing 'Virus scan in progress' when I try to click on it.

The screenshot looks like it's correct, but need to see your recommendation and add it to my workflow - the good news is the latest report has this exact situation in it, so will be easy to test 😁

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@StephenT 
The prolem is community wise, and it happens from yestery. 

If you would, I can send to your email. Send me a PM if you want.

Labels