Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data getting Truncated at Text input tool

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi, when giving data to the Text input tool through a different data source via the analytical app, the field is getting truncated. How can get the full data back?

FYI, the I'm giving the Text input Tool is a big distribution list for Email tool 'To' recipient. There are around 20 IDs that are ';' separated. The Text tool field size is showing as 458.

13 REPLIES 13
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

It could have something to do with the type of string field you're using. I'd recommend adding a Select Tool to the app and forcing it to a V_String set to a 10,000 char limit. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1635888320936.png

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Maskell_Rascal

Can you show me an example, please? Because, I tried adding a Select tool after the Text input tool but it did not work, only the truncated values are getting passed to the field even after changing the size. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Guessing you are using an email tool as per my experience email tool recipient list has a size limit hence you won't be able to send emails to 20 IDs at a time.

We had faced this issue on a similar usecase 😅

Hope this helps : )

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Any way you could provide a sample workflow for us to trouble shoot? If the issue is truly with the email tool, then the solution there would be different then if the problem is with the text input itself. 

For example, you can email a near unlimited amount of people using the email tool, but its how you have your data configured that matters. Rather than sending one email to many recipients, you can set it up so the email tool will send an email for each record input. You could achieve this by adding a Text to Columns tool on the recipient list field, configured with a semi-colon delimiter, and splitting to rows (then updating the email tool to use the new field).

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Adding to the above points best way to troubleshoot will be to use an output tool at the same place where the email tool is and write the recipients list to a file.

If you were able to conclude that the issue is with the email tool itself you can ask your team whether it's possible to create a distribution list email (group of emails) that can be used instead of ~20 email ids

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 - What is the exact number limit for email recipients? 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

As per my experience, its was around 6-8.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@sanketkatoch05 - there isn't a limit. its about how you are feeding your info to the email tool.

Instead of doing this: 

john.smith@gmail.com; jim.smith@gmail.com; mark.jacob@gmail.com; ed.helms@gmail.com; blake.hanson@gmail.com

Keep your list in a column and feed it to the email tool. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1635947918879.png

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

@Maskell_Rascal 

Here you go.

Labels