Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Cleansing tool not getting rid of NULLs with data from Batch Macro

rhubard
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Alteryx Community! I'm a newby here so apologies in advance if I ask something stupid.

I used @JordanB Batch Macro to import a couple of excel files into a workflow. The macro works great (Thanks Jordan!), the issue is that I am having trouble getting rid of NULL rows and columns with the outcoming data.  For some reason the "Remove Null Data" feature on the Data Cleansing tool works well with each file individually (see attached metricsNullsWoMacroWorkflow.yxmd below) but not with the united data coming out of the macro (see metricsNullsWMacroWorkflow.yxmd). 

I have included a couple of screenshots below showing the number of records displayed. And the link to Jordan's post here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-R

rhubard_1-1615058070290.png

rhubard_0-1615057986264.png

2 REPLIES 2
mot
11 - Bolide

Hi @rhubard ,

When you use the macro, a new field is created (FileName) for each row. To use the data cleansing tool to get rid of the null rows, you would need to de-select that field first (assuming it is not important for you). Once you do that using Select tool, I think you will get the result you want. 

I hope this helps. Best.

rhubard
6 - Meteoroid

Ah! That makes total sense. Thanks so much for the super quick response @mot !

I wanted to preserve the FileName so right before the Data Cleansing tool I added a formula to make FileName values NULL on records the key field is  also NULL:

IF !IsNull([FileName]) AND IsNull([Product #])
THEN Null()
ELSE [FileName]
ENDIF

rhubard_0-1615074889576.png

I really appreciate your help. Have a nice rest of the weekend.

Labels