Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating new field name from data value in a column

AltAM
5 - Atom

If I have a date value inside of a column, is there a way to use that value to create a new field? I looked at cross tab but I don't believe it's what I need, or I just don't understand it.

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello AltAM,

Where are the values you are going to use to fill this column? It really doesn't matter really much since you can re-edit the content later.

What you would need to do is to group by every other value, leaving only away the one you are going to use to be the column name and the column values. If you don't have any column values use dummy content created.

Untitled.png

Regards

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Can you share a sample input and expected output? that will make it easier for the community to solve your query.

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
AltAM
5 - Atom

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I know how to summarize the data, but I don't know how to take the value of a cell (in this case the date) as a variable that I can use in the column header (through concatenation with a constant string or whatever). This is the basic information that I'm looking for.

It's further complicated because there are multiple (12) selections stacked on top of each other in the same sheet, and each month might have varying numbers of records. For example, 1/1/2020 has 6 entries, but 2/1/2020 has 5 entries.

Alteryx Community-Values to Columns.JPG

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @AltAM ,

Attached is a solution showing how to do it. I'm using a tile tool and a dynamic rename to insert the column header without losing configuration of names. I've inserted a second example with no tile tool to show  how the header would look like.

fmvizcaino_0-1583195324000.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

AltAM
5 - Atom

This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you showing multiple results for comparison, too. I should really take the time to explore each of the tools when I have a question like this (even though there are so many). Thank you for your guidance!

Labels