Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating a Conditional Loop in Alteryx?

tsilverman_
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to go about solving a question in Alteryx. I believe it would involved a loop or an if then statement, but not sure how to do it. 

I need to basically go through each individual, find there "start Date" which is one column, and then look at another column showing an event date and a cost associated with it. I then need to calculate the total cost from within 6 months before start date, as well as total cost within 6 months after start date. 

I need to combine two documents, first on their names, however, in one document the names include a middle name letter. So I will need to find a way to combine on names, and date of birth. Also the DOB's are in a different format from the two documents

Then mapping each individual to their start date.  Then looping through the event dates to sum the total amount within 6 months before the program start date and then another loop summing the amount within 6 months after the start date. 

Sample documents have been attached

3 REPLIES 3
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @tsilverman_ 

From the description it sounds like this can be solved via batch and/or iterative macros.

have you tried before? If you are new to macros in Alteryx, the interactive lessons under Alteryx academy is a very good start, covering from concept to example.

dawn 

tsilverman_
7 - Meteor

Hi @DawnDuong 

I have tried, however, I am having trouble for this specific use case

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@tsilverman_ you may be able to get to the solution without a loop if I am understanding correctly. The date calculations occur inside the Formula tool and the respective columns are summed in the Summarize tool. 

image.png

Labels