Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Dummy Variable with large Number of Values

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

Dear Alteryx Experts 

I want to use linear regression for prediction, but I have a problem with the predictor variables (X-axis) 3 of them are categorical and I have at least 60 values on each of them , If I use formula tool for creating dummy variable I believe it will take more than 2 or 3 days to do so , can anyone tell me how to solve this issue faster? 

Note (If macro needed please provide it with workflow example for dummy creation for 60 values). 

14 REPLIES 14
MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

The same thing will happen even if I use R, I'm sure for that, I have experience with R, For Python, I think it will work but

I 'm not Python developer, can I get feedback from @jdunkerley79 and @BenMoss how to deal with this issue? 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

As you have done the work inside Alteryx, you shouldn't get the error from the linear regression anymore?

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

I didn't get your point?

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx
Sorry, what I meant is that using the transpose and crosstab has pulled the work out of R and into Alteryx, so you shouldn't get the matrix error anymore?
MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

There is no error from the dummy variables, I mean in the regression tool it cannot handle this large matrix of dummy variables created, It has a memory limitation problem.  

Labels