Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copy paste data in existing tab based on the data volume of the source?

db89
8 - Asteroid

Hi guys, is there a way I can copy paste a range of data in an existing tab based on the data volume of the source?
For Ex. Excel  sheet A has tab X, where I need to paste the data in range starting from column A13 from Excel sheet B which has the desired set of data and needs to be pasted in Excel  sheet A has tab X? The range might vary, hence can a workflow do the job? 

13 REPLIES 13
db89
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Adrian_T,

Exactly! That is what I was trying but unfortunately, I am getting the attached error when I am trying to get the output data in the Main Template file.  
The basic logic behind it is, it has to go in to the Main Template file, in just the exact place where the data needs to be pasted (that is between the "Insert time below this line" and "Insert time above this line" area). 

And of course, when that gets done the formulated parts should stay intact. Will you be able to share the same workflow please, so that I can understand how you are configuring the output?

db89
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Adrian_T,

Exactly! That is what I was trying but unfortunately, I am getting the attached error when I am trying to get the output data in the Main Template file.  
The basic logic behind it is, it has to go in to the Main Template file, in just the exact place where the data needs to be pasted (that is between the "Insert time below this line" and "Insert time above this line" area). 

And of course, when that gets done the formulated parts should stay intact. Will you be able to share the same workflow please, so that I can understand how you are configuring the output?

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @db89, as mentioned previously, the workflow inserts the copied rows (dynamic number of rows) into your Template file. However, given the need to overwrite/drop your existing Main Template file in order to do this, it is not possible to retain your existing formulas in the file. The best workaround will be to include your formula logic as part of your Alteryx workflow, and output the results (not the formula) in the output file.

I have attached an example workflow which does not produce your mentioned error, do give it a try. Do note that formulas will not be retained.

db89
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Adrian_T,

Thank you so much for your time and guidance! I can't thank you enough for getting back on this. I have read your note that formula will not get retained, so have managed an alternative way for that. None the less, thank you again! Will keep in touch if I have more issues. :)

Labels