Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Complex List Box from external source to In-DB Filter

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

This slightly overlaps with similar posts on In-DB filters but I have a new specific problem. 

I am creating an app that allows for a list box selection generated from a table in a database. This "flights" table is updated each day via an API, so any changes are immediately reflected in all apps connected to it. There is a one-to-many relationship between the "flight name" and the "flight IDs" contained in this table - many IDs can be part of a single "flight." 

In the database table that needs filtered, only these IDs are present, no "flight names" are present. Therefore, the List Box tool must achieve the act of allowing users to pick specific "flight names" and then on the back end concatenate all flight IDs into a form that can be passed into an In-DB filter tool. This concatenation must happen each time the workflow is run (I can't just make a static table) because the IDs can change at any time without warning. 

In the past, I had a macro that updated a static file and the list box tool simply looked at that file. The workflow was like this: Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.46.54 AM.png

However, this is inelegant and annoying. I need this to run on the Gallery and minimizing assets is going to be better. Here's what I've tried to do, but this doesn't work because the string coming from the List Box tool is incorrect and doesn't contain the "flight ID" concatenation from the top part of the workflow, which needs to get passed to the filter.

Here's a broken idea:Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.38.22 AM.png

I'm looking for some Alteryx superheroes to help! If you can figure this out, I'll buy you a drink at Inspire this year where I'll be speaking! 

Cheers,

- Bryan 

1 REPLY 1
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Labels