Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Colour coding in my excel output

Manjari
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

Requesting help with color coding I want the output to look like this with all the other columns 

Here is my sample data set, where I want to insert the color code before the container starts

Color code output.png

Please post questions if you have.

9 REPLIES 9
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Manjari 

I dont only words coloring is supported. Its either complete row or complete column based on any condition.

Similar to excel conditional formatting.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Manjari 
I agree with @atcodedog05 , we can do something also for the whole row but not part of the data.

Qiu_0-1604321770723.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Manjari What words should be highlighted? Here's an example where I'm highlighting every teams and book word in red. The table tool uses code that is/resembles html so you can use a formula tool to change it. I'm just using a span statement and then applying the color via a style variable:

patrick_digan_1-1604323628569.png

patrick_digan_0-1604323590244.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

If tools arent enough to get the required output.

Break into code 😂 seen a lot of pros do it

Amazing workaround @patrick_digan 🙂

Thank you for this great learning 😀

Manjari
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @patrick_digan 

I want to change all the values in the column [New keywords] to color red, 

I tried using this formula does not seem to work. requesting help 

if [New keywords] = "0" then Null() else ('<span style="color:#ff0000;">[New keywords]</span>') endif

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @patrick_digan 

Is there a reason why the Layout Tool stops processing the table information after selecting it? The workflow works perfectly when first downloaded like below:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1604330619042.png

But the moment I select the Layout Tool, or add my own, it stops working and doesn't build the table. 

Maskell_Rascal_1-1604330698337.png

Thanks!

Phil

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Manjari you would have to put that text after the table tool. instead, I add the word Replace before and after the words that need changed in your formula (11) tool:

patrick_digan_0-1604331425607.png

Then I can use regex after the table tool to add the red and delete the REPLACEs:

regex_replace([Table],"REPLACE(.*?)REPLACE",'<span style="color:#ff0000;">$1</span>')

Hopefully that gets you closer, and you can tweak to match what you need.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Maskell_Rascal the layout tool is figuring out that we've monkeyed around with the data 🙂 I'm just using the layout tool to convert our text back to a reporting element. I should have done the same thing with the render tool and then it wouldn't have broken when you clicked on it.

To build this, I connected the table tool to the layout tool and set it up. Then at the end, I connected my formula tool to the layout tool. So long as you don't click on the layout tool, it will work. In the future, I should have just gone from the table to the render, set it up, and then connected my formula to the render. That would still work when click on it.

As a workaround, I have this macro I built today which I haven't tested on other data...BUT you should be able to feed the modified data through it and then alteryx will think it's a valid field reporting element again.

Before (it's just a string field because I changed it in the formula tool):

patrick_digan_0-1604331941901.png

After (it's back to a reporting element like normal):

patrick_digan_1-1604331973464.png

My macro is just using the report text field in expert mode to convert the string back to a reporting element.

patrick_digan_2-1604332023296.png

And sorry for the long post, but the metadata "source" column needs to start with Report: for the reporting tools (like layout and render) to recognize the data as a reporting element. Here's the metadata after my macro which shows Report:text in the source column for the field we've converted:

patrick_digan_3-1604332135224.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@patrick_digan Brilliant! I'm fairly new to using the reporting tools, so appreciate the additional information. 

Labels