Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch Macro Detour if Condition is Met

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I want to modify a workflow into a batch macro.  

The source XML files are structured almost exactly the same.   Except, some files have a Root Element of MasterJustificationBook (that contain JustificationBooks) while others have a Root Element of just JustificationBook (because it only contains one book).   The first parse tool is set to parse a Specific Child Element with the name Program.  The only difference is that the Field to Parse is set to MasterJustificationBook_OuterXML for one and JustficationBook_OuterXML for the other.  Everything following the initial parse is the same.  How can I combine these two workflows to account for this initial difference? 

I guess the question is:  How can I dynamically change the Filed to Parse to account for the presence or absences of Master in the field name?  Put another way, how can I structure the workflow to adapt to the presence or absence of Mater in the field name prior to the first parse?

On input there are 5 fields (columns)

JustificationBookxmlns:acTargetSchemaVersionJustificationBook_OuterXMLFileName

MasterJustificationBookxmlns:acTargetSchemaVersionMasterJustificationBook_OuterXMLFileName

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 4.13.34 PM.png

5 REPLIES 5
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

@hellyars ,

Could you use a Dynamic Rename to conditionally rename the MasterJustificationBook_OuterXML field to JustificationBook_OuterXML as shown below? Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue.

2021-01-18_15-52-07.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@kelsey_kincaid   Wow.  That was wicked simple.  I thought changing the name would mess up reading the XML.  It had zero impact.   Again, Mondays!

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

@hellyars I'm glad it worked!

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@kelsey_kincaid   I have a quick follow up question.  I took your approach and tried to add 2 replace expressions with an OR statement.   

Replace([_CurrentField_],"JustificationBook","RootElement") OR
Replace([_CurrentField_],"MasterJustificationBook","RootElement")

It did not error out.  But, it renamed the columns 0, 0_2, -1, 0_3, and 0_4

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

@hellyars ,

Try this:

Replace(
Replace([_CurrentField_],"MasterJustificationBook","RootElement"),
"JustificationBook","RootElement")

Labels