Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Assigning Random Number to a Data Set to Form Even Pots

Pav007
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

I am struggling to assign a randomly generated number as a separate column to my data set in such a way that it would give me even splits as a final output. 

For example, I have 900 rows in my data set and would like to randomly assign numbers between 0 and 8 to it as a separate column so my final output will be 

0 = 100 rows

1 = 100 rows

2 = 100 rows

3 = 100 rows

4 = 100 rows

5 = 100 rows

6 = 100 rows

7 = 100 rows

8 = 100 rows

I was able to add random numbers to my data set as a separate column using RandInt(8) function , however the final outputs are not 100 rows per number - it varies between 98 and 134 rows. RandInt(8)RandInt(8)Splits per NumberSplits per Number

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Many thanks,

Pav

7 REPLIES 7
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

2018-10-18_11-31-11.png

This should do roughly what you need.

I create a random string (UuidCreate()) and then sort on this.

Then add a record ID and divide by the size of required groups 

Finally, use this to assign the groups

Hopefully attached will give you some ideas to build on top of

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

James' solution is neat and nicely dynamic.

If you wanted something a little more simple you could also look to use the rand function along with a sort and tile tool in equal records mode.

2018-10-18_11-38-34.png

Pav007
6 - Meteoroid

Pav007
6 - Meteoroid

Pav007
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your reply. I've managed to achieve what I need based on the suggestions you guys provided. 

@jdunkerley79 wrote:

2018-10-18_11-31-11.png

This should do roughly what you need.

I create a random string (UuidCreate()) and then sort on this.

Then add a record ID and divide by the size of required groups 

Finally, use this to assign the groups

Hopefully attached will give you some ideas to build on top of

Pav007
6 - Meteoroid

Wow guys! I've just joined the community today and you've already impressed me. Thank you very much Joe!  This is exactly what I've been looking for. 

@JoeS wrote:

James' solution is neat and nicely dynamic.

If you wanted something a little more simple you could also look to use the rand function along with a sort and tile tool in equal records mode.

2018-10-18_11-38-34.png

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Pav007 wrote:

Wow guys! I've just joined the community today and you've already impressed me. Thank you very much Joe!  This is exactly what I've been looking for.  

Great stuff, I am glad you are already getting the answers you require, long may it continue......

Labels