Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx randomly freeze for minute or so.

Suyog_Sonawane
6 - Meteoroid

Dear all, 

While working on simple workflows after every minute or so the Alteryx freezes randomly for sometime. It does not show any error but the screen goes blur and it says "not responding". 

I am unable to understand what is the issue. will really appreciate your help. 

Thanks,

Suyog. 

9 REPLIES 9
Matt_D
9 - Comet

Hi @Suyog_Sonawane I saw this issue once a while back (about 5 years ago so may not still be a thing!) when our IT team installed the 64bit version in the 32bit program files using some deployment software, I'm not sure why this happened or what caused it but it maybe worth checking the installation path just to be sure. As soon as this was corrected, everything returned to normality.

Matt

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I often see this as a complication of auto-configure, or Designer refreshing the meta data and configuration of all tools on the canvas. Depending on the workflow dependencies and data moving through the tools on the canvas, this could be a lot of information to process in Designer (sometimes leading to freezing). 

Try disabling auto-configuration (Options > User Settings > Advanced > Disable Auto-Configuration). The benefit is that Alteryx Designer will have MUCH less to process when you're interacting with the workflow, the bad side is that tools will not automatically populate with fields and configurations. When you want to population the tool configuration, you'll need to manually refresh the canvas using F5. This is similar to "manual calculation mode" in Excel if you're familiar with that. 

Try that out and see if it makes a difference.

Suyog_Sonawane
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Matt_D thanks for sharing your experience and suggestion. I did checked for the version and had a talk with IT. Everything is as it is suppose to be, yet the issue is still there. 

Lets hope I get a solution that will fix this issue. 

Thanks again, Appreciate your time and effort. 

Suyog_Sonawane
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @CharlieS Thanks for sharing your suggestion. The change you mentioned shows a little improvement in the issue but sadly it has not resolved completely. The lag time has reduces but it still lags randomly. 

Do you have any idea what can be done in addition of what you suggested earlier. Do share if any. 

Thanks. 
Appreciate your time and effort. 

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

Has anyone identified the issue or a correction?  I've got the same problem, every click to move or configure a tool sends it into a "Not Responding" freeze for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.  The runs are taking longer as well.  Would love to see some follow up since I see others with the same problem and no resolution.  I'm ready to go back to excel this week just to get my work done!

Steve_Scales
5 - Atom

I am having a similar issue. The blue spinning circle occurs for long periods anytime I click on a different tool in my workflow. It is extremely annoying and I am loosing productivity. We need help fast on this one!!

Squall
5 - Atom

I have been having the same issue for a couple of days. Alteryx just freezes randomny when I select a tool (but it's hard to reproduce) for about 15 seconds. I even opened a new thread before I found this one : Alteryx freezes randomly when selecting tools - Alteryx Community

Hagar-Usama
8 - Asteroid

I got the same issue, even after I upgraded my laptop!

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Same issue here.  It's really bad when configuring any of the Join tools.

Labels