Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx app is running slow on the server than my local

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hello all,

I have an annoying experience to run Alteryx app on the server.

I have the latest version of Alteryx designer and server and the database drivers were installed.

When I run the application on my local computer, it completes in 2-3 minutes, however the server runs for 30+ minutes. Please note the server was not running any other job at that time and server specs are much better then my computer.

I couldn't find a root cause or any log of the reason that delay?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @albert_alaluf, question - where is the data located? You mentioned you had the database drivers installed, so that implies the workflow is leveraging a database. When a workflow runs faster on one system vs. another, and specs are as you mentioned, better, I typically look to location of the files/data that a workflow is running. Is the database or files local to your machine vs. the Server?

Some other questions to consider - Does your Server have the same bandwidth available that your local machine has? Are there VPN issues that would affect one environment vs. another? 

Just some ideas that come to mind when I have come across situations like this.

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hi @BrianR,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I looked for server specs and my workstation that is designed for data scientist projects and looks like we both have 64 GB RAM, but I have 20 Core CPU vs the server has 12 Cores. This is the only significant change between the computers. Other items such as VPN, bandwidth, database location etc... are all in internal network. I'm curious whether the number of the cores make that difference. This is very important because I'm buying an Alteryx server next year and I should modify my server requirement.

Thanks

Labels