Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

use excel to get dynamic summaries of a .yxdb file?

jenniferallen
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am working on combing multiple years of statements from multiple carriers into one file. I fear I will soon reach the excel records limit so am wondering if there's a better way - I just need to see summaries of the data but would prefer a pivot table that can be manipulated outside of Alteryx rather than using the static summary tool and outputting to a different file. Is there a way to import or connect excel to a .yxdb alteryx database file? Or a better way in general? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

I am not aware of such a thing, personally. But, given that you are creating these summaries on a monthly basis right now, I would recommend using a Directory tool to bring in those summaries, then doing the levels of aggregation you are needing (quarterly, semi-annually, etc.) and then outputting to an .xlsx, xls, or csv file if you must output to Excel-friendly formats. You can then insert custom fields that tell the reader the date ranges of the line item they are looking at. From there, if my end user is operating within Excel, I would set the file up to use Power Query to retrieve only the data they are needing for their analysis. Not a panacea by any means, but should help bridge the gap in who does/does not have Alteryx access.

Another approach I have used in the past is setting up an Alteryx Analytic app that functionally queries the directory I have all of my summaries in, unions that data together, and then outputs to where the user needs it. Simple to set up and gives you free range to select/deselect which fields you'll need in the final output from one app.

jenniferallen
7 - Meteor

Thank you! Lots of learning to do on my part but that sounds like the perfect solution!

Labels