Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Force" close an output file so it can be used later in the workflow

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

I'm having trouble with a workflow that is being used to validate data from a pension scheme.

The benefits are split by period, in the snip below, the blocks are "Pre 1988" and "Pre 1997"; the filter tool is checking entry date against the benefits to make sure that the start date / leave date of the member is consistent with their benefits. 

The 1st filter rejects members who have benefits labelled as "Pre 1997", but joined the scheme from 1998 and onwards so shouldn't have any Pre 1997 benefits.

Each of the output tools appends the records to an output file created earlier in the workflow

In this case checking the message log, the output file has been created and the Pre 1988 failed records have been written to it.

Last time I ran, the opposite was the case, only the Pre 1997 records had been written and the ! error was on the Failed Pre 88 output tool.

Paul_s_Moody_0-1682691072309.png

Sometimes I get a "unable to open the file for write..." on the "Failed Pre 97" tool, sometimes on the "Failed Pre 88" tool.

This suggests that the file isn't being closed correctly after the initial creation or on the 1st append.

Is there a way to "force" the spreadsheet closed to ensure that it is available to be appended to at the relevant stage of the workflow?

Or do I need to change the "flow" of data somehow?

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Paul_s_Moody 

Both outputs write to different tabs of the same spreadsheet? It looks like putting a block until done in ahead of the two filters would do the trick. This tool will allow the first branch to complete (including writing the data) before starting on the second branch:

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/block-until-done-tool

Paul_s_Moody
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!

All working perfectly now!

Labels