Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

importing 1600+ rows via text file but output preview only shows first row

NiravParikh281
6 - Meteoroid

i am inputting text file with 1600 rows but while i view the output in the results panel it only shows one row. i tried extracting output in excel but it still shows one row only. Input preview also shows 1st 100 columns

NiravParikh281_0-1625035137377.png

8 REPLIES 8
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @NiravParikh281 

The output preview shows only the 1st 1MB of data. So how many rows appear depends on how many fields and the content in each field.

to see all records without this limit, you need to add a Browse tool.

cheers

dawn

NiravParikh281
6 - Meteoroid

using browse tool still gives 1line output

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @NiravParikh281 

That's quite unusual. Will you be able to share what the result window looks like after you connect the browse tool directly to the Input tool and Run the workflows?
Dawn.

NiravParikh281
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Dawn, 

Screenshot for your reference

NiravParikh281_1-1625072904774.png

Regards

Nirav

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@NiravParikh281 what is the full text of the error message coming in the input tool?

NiravParikh281
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Luke,

i am not getting an error, the issue is only the 1st line is getting reflected in output for a input of 1600+ lines. Please refer below and let me know if anything else can help you make an assessment

NiravParikh281_0-1625147180625.png

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @NiravParikh281 

This workflow has 16,000 rows. the browse shows all the records on my laptop after I run the workflows.

When you run on your machine, does the browse tool show all the 16,000 rows?

>> IF YES: update the Input to put to your required source and run again to see if any issue.

>> IF NO: maybe something wrong with your installed version of Alteryx.

Dawn.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @NiravParikh281 

There's an error in your screenshot... It may or may not be related, but it seems to be due to some records in your data having more fields than there are column headers. Maybe try setting the delimiter to \0 and seeing if the data is read in? If it does work, you could use a text to columns tool can be used to split the columns by tab.

Labels