Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to read multiple sheets from multiple files in excel at once

rag329
8 - Asteroid

Hi team, 

I have 6 excel files. Each file has multiple sheets. I want to read all excel files with all the sheets it has. 

example: 

file 1 (with 4 sheets).

file 2 (with 3 sheets)

file 3 (with 5 sheets)

file 4 (with 2 sheets)

file 5 (with 1 sheets)

file 6 (with 7 sheets)

note:all sheets has the same data with 4 columns  (column names are different but with the same data) 

in some sheets it has "customer ID" but in some sheets it has just "ID" but in some sheets it has "USER ID"  but all represents the same. 

please guide me on this. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @rag329,

This article will help you with it: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Read-in-Multiple-Excel-File...

Regarding the Different ID Names - I would just merge them together afterwards using a formula tool (e.g. Field A + Field B + ...)

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @rag329, have a look at this example workflow. Here we use a batch macro to deal with the different schema of the tables:

Screenshot 2023-08-21 092842.png

First, we use the Directory tool to list all Excel files in the folder we want to read.

We then use the Dynamic Input tool to list every sheet inside each of these files.

The last formula tool forms a unique path for every sheet inside every Excel file that we want to read. We then pass these into a batch macro which will read them all:

Screenshot 2023-08-21 092020.png

This simple batch macro reads in each sheet one at a time, then unions them together. Importantly, we choose the 'Auto Configure by Position' option in the Interface Designer to deal with the different column names. I've attached the workflow below - hope it helps!

rag329
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much team,  @FinnCharlton @FrederikE 

Labels