Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

getting max %

mzubair9402
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I have a bunch of data in one column with numbers words percent and etc. I need to extract the max tax rate percent for each row. I tried the sum function but not all data being pulled is correct. Can you please help.

12 REPLIES 12
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @mzubair9402 Can you share your workflow or at least some sample data? Can't really troubleshoot the problem without seeing the issue. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Is everything in one field???? Usually you'd group on what you want to group on and take the max value (in the summarize tool) but from your description this could be a situation where you need to break up/parse your data into proper fields first.

mzubair9402
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry about that. Below is my workflow.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Can you also provide the underlying Excel file?

mzubair9402
6 - Meteoroid

Sure Np.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I can tell you without opening your data your problem is your conversion to a number in your select tool - you need to be using a multi-field formula...

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Swap your select for a multi-field formula and highlight the text columns you want to make numeric (ie the years/tax rates).

use this formula in the body:

tonumber([_currentfield_])

make sure name change is unclicked and click on change field type and put the drowpdown on double. Should work after - your datafile's formatting is fairly different (ie it starts on row 1 - not row 4 and doesn't include the column names) so it's easier to just describe it...

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @mzubair9402 

Here is a solution that might work for you. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1624640990786.png

Maskell_Rascal_1-1624641002821.png

I'm using some RegEx functions and the Transpose/Crosstabs tools to make this as dynamic as possible. I also made the assumption that any percentage within the text field was a tax rate that needed to be extracted. 

Attached is the workflow for you to try out. 

If this solves the problem please mark answer as correct, if not let me know!

Cheers!

Phil

mzubair9402
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for all the help. This is my very 1st workflow. Also I downloading your solution but it looks like the states are not showing up in the sum tool, which won't let me run it.

Labels