Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

a join without matching values

utsarunner981
8 - Asteroid

hello- a question, can a join be conducted on two datasets when they do not have matching values? a join does not work because there are no matching values and a union creates nulls, is there a method to bring the datasets together?

for example: 

data A

namedateitem
jack12/07/2021sofa
jackie12/08/2021chair

data b

customer date solditem
sally12/07/2021fork
samantha12/07/2021spoon
5 REPLIES 5
csmith11
11 - Bolide

Union Tool

1.Rename Field Names so names match then use Auto Config by Field Name

2. Auto Config by Position

3.Mannual Config Fields

Example Output:

csmith11_1-1638912691108.png

Or Join using the join By Record Position method.

csmith11_0-1638912668974.png

The correct choice would depend on what you would like your output to look like?

utsarunner981
8 - Asteroid

@csmith11  thanks for the workaround! i used a union by position and that worked!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@utsarunner981 something to note is if the structure or order of your fields change (perhaps change order or new ones are added in between) using auto configure by position could cause you issues, instead I always prefer to take the approach of changing the field names (with a select tool) in one table to match that of the first and auto configure by name in the union. Whilst a little more work it's safer and more secure.

csmith11
11 - Bolide

@utsarunner981 The renaming with select tool then using auto config by name is definitely the best option as mentioned by @Jonathan-Sherman. This the approach I always take as well. Cheers!

utsarunner981
8 - Asteroid

@Jonathan-Sherman this is GREAT advice. I thought this could cause errors and it does so using the Select Tool and changing names is a great workaround. Thanks!

Labels