Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

a column to have this format DD-DD-DDDD

XXX_Rosy_XXX
7 - Meteor

Hi I have a column which 73-02-0004.

how do i create a formulae if the column not in this format it will be blank.

I know how to do blank but not in this DD-DD-DDDD. Must be number in this format DD-DD-DDDD.

D stands for digits only. Please help

8 REPLIES 8
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @XXX_Rosy_XXX ,

Though I do not use Designer Cloud, I guess the Formula tool is very similar to Designer Desktop.

I think this regular expression in Formula tool may work.

REGEX_Match([Field1], "\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4}")

XXX_Rosy_XXX
7 - Meteor

Hi Thanks

How do i left it as it is when the format is DD-DD-DDDD correct as for the 

the rest which does not match leave at blank.

if REGEX_Match([Specific Location], "\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4}"
else ""
ENDIF

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@XXX_Rosy_XXX you are missing a few parts to your IF statement, like the ending parentheses to your Regex_match and a true vs false condition. Try this instead:

IIF(REGEX_Match([Specific Location], "\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4}"), [Specific Location], "")

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @XXX_Rosy_XXX 

@alexnajm gave the inline format of the IF expression.  The more common and more readable(IMHO) format is 

if REGEX_Match([Specific Location], "\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4}" then

[Specific Location]
else

""
ENDIF  

Dan

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@danilang 's works too, and agreed that it's preferred! I just like using IIF if I am dealing with boolean statements 😊

Just make sure all parentheses are included!

XXX_Rosy_XXX
7 - Meteor

Thanks 

However I have another question.

How can I drop the last digits 

if it is in this format DD-DD-DDDDD

i would like to drop the last digit. So it will be DD-DD-DDDD

dfurlow
8 - Asteroid

if the data is always going to be reliably in that format, so x = "DD-DD-DDDDD" then i think you can just take left(x,10) to get the 10 leftmost digits.

Although you are using digits, it appears they are formattted as strings.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @XXX_Rosy_XXX 

The regex expression originally supplied by @Yoshiro_Fujimori matches the pattern DD-DD-DDDD exactly.  Anything else is rejected.  To match extra digits at end end change the expression to "\d{2}-\d{2}-\d{4,}"  This modification matches 4 or more characters at the end of the pattern.  Follow this with Left([Specific Location],10) in a formula tool to drop any extra digits.

Dan

Labels