Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Zip Code

CherylH
8 - Asteroid

What is the formula to convert 4 digit zip code with a leading zero?

Ex 1249

Need result to be: 01249

Or 55373-0456

Needs to be 55373

6 REPLIES 6
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

PadLeft([Zip Code],5,"0")

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For the second one, Left([Zip Code],5) should do the trick

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You could combine them in a way to eensure one Formula tool addresses all concerns. BAsed on the two here, you could do IF Length([Zip Code])<5 THEN PadLeft([Zip Code],5,"0") ELSEIF Contains([Zip Code],"-") THEN Left([Zip Code],5) ELSE [[Zip Code] ENDIF

However this won't work for values like 5373-0456 so it can be made more robust if needed.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CherylH 

There's a couple useful functions that I would employ here:
Left( - this is a string function that takes the left characters from a string to the length you specify. Ex: Left('55373-0456',5) would give you 55373

Padleft( - a function that will add a character to the left side of a string to the length you specify. Ex: PadLeft('1249',5,'0') would give 01249

We can combine these functions so that one can take care of both scenarios. If your field is called [ZIP] you can use this:
PadLeft(Left([ZIP],5),5,'0')

This takes care of the situations above, but we can make this more robust. What about the value of 1249-5504 with a dropped leading 0, but the +4 characters on the end? The Contains( and FindString( functions would allow us to determine if a '-' character is present, and at what position. Using this and an additional Left( function. we could set up this IF statement:

IF Contains([ZIP],'-') THEN PadLeft(Left(Left([ZIP],FindString([ZIP],'-')),5),5,'0')
ELSE PadLeft(Left([ZIP],5),5,'0') ENDIF

So if a '-' is present, take the characters to the left of that position, then perform the other steps outlined above. I've put this in a workflow so you can see this all in action. Check it out and let us know if this helps.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @CherylH 

Try using the Pad in the Formula Tool to get to what I presume is your needed (Zip5).

PadLeft(ToString([Zip]), 5, '0')

-if you needed Zip6 for example, you would update the '5' to '6' in the formula - Cheers!

RobertOdera_0-1680279881909.png

CherylH
8 - Asteroid

Charles thank you for thinking for more zip code examples-good catch.  

The formula worked for 1 feed but not the other so I can field name for lolzip to zip and then it worked.  

Just trying to get this done quickly.

Thanks so much,

Cheryl

Labels