Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XML to Excel

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

How to Convert XML generated in Alteryx of the workflow to Excel Format.

Can anyone can help.?

24 REPLIES 24
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @rohit782192,

There is no universal approach to this. This is an individual transformation job. If you can share the XML we might be able to help. 

If you understand the XML-Format well, the XML Parse Tool should help, otherwise Text To Columns and RegEx are the go-to Tools to start with the parsing. 

There is also a weekly XML Parsing Challenge where you can look at the results which might be helpful: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-37-Parsing-a-Raw-XML-File/td-p/36577

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

if you have alteryx you can see xml in your Alteryx Designer. It is generated in XML View of the workflow configuration Tab.

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

hey @rohit782192,

You mean parsing a yxmd-file? 

You can do this by renaming the file and thereby changing its extention to .xml 

e.g. New Workflow2.xml

This file can be read by an other Alteryx process. 

However, transforming this into an excel file should be done dependend on a certain use case. Transforming semi-structured documents into tabluar format is often very bad for performance and analysis afterwards as they are more dynamic. 

See the attached WF for reading such a file as a .xml (e.g. for finding what tools are used)

OR reading a .csv that can be used to tranform further. 

jdminton
12 - Quasar

If you are wanting to get the xml into Excel with each line of code on a separate row, you can use the top method in the workflow. If you'd like to see all of the code in a single cell, you can use the second output in the workflow. This, however, will only work with small xml files due to Excel's character limit in a cell. Some additional context around why you are bringing it to Excel might provide some alternate solutions for you.

Snag_1509a40f.png

Snag_1509bd73.png

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

When we create a Workflow in Alteryx Designer a corresponding XML get Generated in XML view which is available in Workflow-Configuration.

That XML i have break down into Excel. I am able to do for Connection.  I am not able to do for Node.

I need some highlight on Extracting node.

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @rohit782192 

I had been following your question but even with the additional information added to the thread, I still have difficulties understanding your request; I know you are talking about the XML code visible on each tool configuration pane, below screenshot is this XML code for a Formula Tool, now each tool has its own XML code, but still your last post mention Connection and Node; Would you be able to include screen shots of these tools' XML screens? and even better an screenshot of the expected output,

This is the XML code for a formual tool.

Request-01.png

Help us to help you,

Arnaldo

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

You are close to the Question. 

I am pasting the Screen print from where i can see the full workflow XML from the Workflow-Configuration.

Any workflow in the Designer Generate an XML in the Workflow Configuration.

You can refer attached where we can see.

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

@rohit782192 

Bingo 👍 the screenshot below shows the XML for an Alteryx workflow, on the left, the XML shown by Alteryx, on the right the same workflow opened by Notepag++

Request-02.png

Now what do you want to do with the whole XML code? you mention Excel, but what do you want  to write to Excel?

It is late here, so I will read you answers 7 hours from now,

hth

Arnaldo.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

I want Node and Connection in Excel.

Connection is Coming in Excel when we select Child . 

But Unable to break the Node

Labels