Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing Conditional Statements

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

I have a data set of apportionment percentages.  The data type is double.  There are a few negative percentages that I want to replace with zeros.  I tried IF [Apportionment %] < 0 THEN "0" ELSE [Apportionment %] ENDIF, but I get an error message that says the formula "Apportionment %" resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct.  The field "" is not contained in the record.  What am I doing wrong here??  New to Alteryx, so please keep that in mind :)

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
"0" is a string. Please try:

IF [Apportionment %] < 0 THEN 0 ELSE [Apportionment %] ENDIF

Another fine choice is:

Max(0,[Apportionment %])

Cheers,
mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
bbak
9 - Comet

You need to take the 0 out of the quotes. By putting it in quotes you are saying that you would like to return a string. Removing the quotes should do the trick!

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

If I remove the quotes, the error says the field "" is not contained in the record.  I get the same error if I use the Max formula above.

bbak
9 - Comet

Ah, that is because you need to choose the Apportionment % column in the "Select Column" drop down in the formula tool. If you don't pick the column then Alteryx doesn't know what data it is modifying.

Solution.PNG

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

I already had that chosen as well.  

I still get the message "the field "" is not contained in the record (Expression #2)."

bbak
9 - Comet

That means that you have another formula down below that doesn't have the output column selected.

Capture.PNG

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

That worked.  Thank you!

Labels