Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow pulls in diamond with ? in text

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have workflow A pulling from an API that outputs to a database. I then have workflow B pulling the output of A as the input for B.

I noticed that I am seeing text where accents appear in the middle as a black diamond with a question mark inside. The output of the field is a v_wstring as is the input of the same field into workflow B. As it is coming from a database, and outputting to one, I'm unsure on how to change the code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alishadhillon__ 

You could try using this formula on the field in question: 

DecomposeUnicodeForMatch(String)

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C 

Thanks for offering a solution. 

It has partially worked and taken away the diamond but now I'm left with a lot of question marks mid text. The character is not consistent enough for me to replace the question marks either.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alishadhillon__ 

Are you able to share an example of the text? Preferably with the original characters returned by the API?

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C 

I managed to find the fix in the configuration of the API. Changing the download tool from UTF to ISO.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Thanks, I see. 

This issue is probably sourced from the download tool itself. Have you tried playing with the encoding on the 'Basic' tab?

image.png

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Luke_C ! That did it!

Labels