Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow pulls in diamond with ? in text

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have workflow A pulling from an API that outputs to a database. I then have workflow B pulling the output of A as the input for B.

I noticed that I am seeing text where accents appear in the middle as a black diamond with a question mark inside. The output of the field is a v_wstring as is the input of the same field into workflow B. As it is coming from a database, and outputting to one, I'm unsure on how to change the code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alishadhillon__ 

You could try using this formula on the field in question: 

DecomposeUnicodeForMatch(String)

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C 

Thanks for offering a solution. 

It has partially worked and taken away the diamond but now I'm left with a lot of question marks mid text. The character is not consistent enough for me to replace the question marks either.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @alishadhillon__ 

Are you able to share an example of the text? Preferably with the original characters returned by the API?

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C 

I managed to find the fix in the configuration of the API. Changing the download tool from UTF to ISO.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Thanks, I see. 

This issue is probably sourced from the download tool itself. Have you tried playing with the encoding on the 'Basic' tab?

image.png

alishadhillon__
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Luke_C ! That did it!

Labels