Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Workflow not perserving formatting

jmbarc
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, I am a new alteryx designer. I have built a flow which filters an excel file based on specific criteria and then splits the results on to specific named tabs. 

The issue i am having is with the output formatting. It wont preserve the formatting despite selecting this box on the output. Is it possible to create new named tabs and have specific output formatting.

Thanks for any help in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Are you specifying the range to preserve the formatting? If no range is set at the end of the file path, it wont preserver the formatting even with the box checked. I cant tell from the screenshot if its specified. 

To add more tabs with the same formatting you would likely need a template to copy from when creating the new tabs. A Blob tool would solve this.

jmbarc
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, yes i have the range specified. It seems to be when renaming the tab it doesnt copy forward any formatting. Ok im not familiar with the blob tool. i will try research this. Thanks. 

tristank
11 - Bolide

Hi @jmbarc you will want to use the blob tools to maintain formatting. Essentially you will:

1. Use the blob tools to create a formatted template

2. After the template has been created output to said template

These are the resources I used to get started with blob tools. These types of workflows can be a little weird to configure (think control containers) but these blogs are super helpful. Reach out if you have any questions!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Excel-Templates-with-Blob-Tools-and-Control-Containers...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-Blob-Reporting-That-Isn-t-From-a-Horror-Film/ba-p/...

https://lovelytics.com/blog/alteryx-tool-tip-dont-fear-the-blob/

usmanbashir
11 - Bolide

I second that using the blob tools have been life-changing for me!

jmbarc
6 - Meteoroid

I have tried adding blob tool and containers to the flow. However, When i run, the flow is now adding the formulated sheet i want to apply as a tab and the subsequent tabs still with no formatting. Can anyone please help? Added the flow for reference

Containers.PNG

jmbarc
6 - Meteoroid

@usmanbashir @tristank would any one please be able to assist with why my blob formatting isnt adding to all the tabs? sorry first time using this function. Thanks in advance.

tristank
11 - Bolide

You're on the right track but you'll run into issues with the multiple tabs. The problem is that the excel you are copying with the blob tools just has the first sheet formatted and then you are adding new sheets that won't have any pre existing formatting available. If you want to use the blob tools to maintain the formatting then the excel you create a copy of already has to have all the tabs existing with the formatting available. If you have a dynamic number of tabs being created that is going to be problematic.

What you could try to do as an alternative is create a separate excel for each sheet you are generating, have them all be pasted against the formatted sheet from the blob tool and then downstream combine all the excels into a single excel. The idea with this is you can keep outputting to the single formatted tab that exists in the blob but the downside is at least initially you will have a bunch of separate excel files. 

Labels