Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wanted to alternative solution of Imputation tool

EN6924
10 - Fireball

Hello All,

As we know that we use Imputation to replace a specified value within one or more numeric data fields with another specified value (like average, median, mode).

Lets say I have a single column containing 10 records, 5 are non null and 5 are null. Using Imputation tool I can produce a result replacing nulls and will display the avg of other 5 non null values.

I can achieve the same result with combination of other tools like mentioned below -

EN6924_0-1658993601028.png

Will there be any shortest way to produce that same result? Need help.

3 REPLIES 3
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @EN6924,

You can't do something a lot quicker. I did a sample and just skip the formula part since you can escape this part, but I don't see many more improvement.

csclark
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @EN6924

Is there any particular reason why you're looking at other methodologies? Are the workflows you're using the imputation tool running more slowly?

As @Ladarthure suggested, using the formula tool could definitely yield improvements. Part of the reason for why this is, the Imputation tool is actually a macro with many underlying processes happening underneath the hood. You can actually see all of these by right-clicking on the imputation tool and "Open Macro". This is also why you might use a Formula tool over the Data Cleansing tool when you only need to make 1 or 2 replacements to the data. You might want to check out the article I attached, "Alteryx Tips and Tricks", which goes deeper into ways that you can optimise your workflows!

csclark_0-1659007771725.png

csclark_1-1659007805041.png

All the best,

Chris Clark
Alteryx Solutions Engineer

EN6924
10 - Fireball

No such specific reasons.

I was simply asked that during an interview, so I attempted solving it and wanted to know further.

Thanks

Labels