Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Replace Tool to remove specific text within a string (a comma separated list)

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Afternoon,

I have a sample list of records and a column titled "DisneyWorld Parks Visited". See grid below. I want to remove "Magic Kingdom" from the data.

For Example, if Magic Kingdom is the only park listed, the field should be blank.

If another park is listed such as "Magic Kingdom,EPCOT,Hollywood Studios", it should return only "EPCOT,Hollywood Studios" (see third column)

I attempted to use the Replace tool to replace "Magic Kingdom" with "" (Blank). However, in the rows where Magic Kingdom is listed with another park(s), it leaves the comma at the beginning.

I then tried using one Replace Tool to first remove "Magic Kingdom," with "" to remove instances where Magic Kingdom is listed with another park(s), and a second to remove "Magic Kingdom" with "" for instances where only Magic Kingdom. However, I'm still getting the comma. (see fourth column)

1st Replace Tool: Replace([DisneyWorld Parks Visited], "Magic Kingdom,", "")

2nd Replace Too: Replace([DisneyWorld Parks Visited], "Magic Kingdom", "")

If Magic Kingdom is the only park listed, the field shows correctly as blank.

But if another park is listed such as "Magic Kingdom,EPCOT,Hollywood Studios", it returns return ",EPCOT,Hollywood Studios" (with the initial comma)

How can I remove that initial comma?

Record #DisneyWorld Parks VisitedDisneyWorld Parks Visited (Excluding "Magic Kingdom") - Desired FormatDisneyWorld Parks Visited (Excluding "Magic Kingdom") - What I am currently getting. 
1Magic Kingdom  
2Magic Kingdom,EPCOTEPCOT,EPCOT
3Magic Kingdom,EPCOT, Hollywood StudiosEPCOT, Hollywood Studios,EPCOT, Hollywood Studios
4Magic Kingdom,EPCOT, Hollywood Studios,Animal KingdomEPCOT, Hollywood Studios,Animal Kingdom,EPCOT, Hollywood Studios,Animal Kingdom
5EPCOT, Hollywood StudiosEPCOT, Hollywood StudiosEPCOT, Hollywood Studios
6EPCOT,Animal KingdomEPCOT,Animal KingdomEPCOT,Animal Kingdom
7Magic Kingdom,Animal KingdomAnimal Kingdom,Animal Kingdom
8Animal KingdomAnimal KingdomAnimal Kingdom
9Magic Kingdom,Hollywood StudiosHollywood Studios,Hollywood Studios
10Animal KingdomAnimal KingdomAnimal Kingdom

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Add a TrimLeft(current formula, ",") to the Formula! This will remove any commas at the beginning - you could also just do Trim(current formula, ",") if you want to trim at the beginning and at the end

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@edmund_belleza - you could also put this in a formula tool: Replace(Replace([DisneyWorld Parks Visited],"Magic Kingdom,",""),"Magic Kingdom","")

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Thank you! I wasn't aware of the trim formula!

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Thank you! I didn't realize I could combine Replace Tool formulas like this. 

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

Yes, it's very useful! If you could also mark this as a solution, I'd be grateful (you can mark multiple as solution). Thanks!

Labels