Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add new fields to calculate running total

chilby
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

I have 218 fields and 214 records in my sample gift card data set. Each field represents net activity for a time period (month-yr). I need to add a field after each net activity field which calculates a running total. i.e. Last running total + net activity = balance at month-end. This will double my fields from 218 to 436. Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@chilby use the running total tool

image.png

Carolyn
9 - Comet

I think this will work for what you're trying to do. I took Record 1 and 3 from your screenshot, and did the first 3 months

High level explanation: I used the Transpose Tool to get all the values into one column. I added the Running Totals and then put them back into all their different columns. The benefit of this way was I was able to get them grouped together properly instead of all the Running Totals at the end

1. Transpose the data into one column
  2. Do a little cleanup on the months so you can Sort them properly
  3. Use the Running Total to calculate the Running Total
  4. Join with the Net Activity columns
  5. Cross tab back into all the columns
  6. Sort by Gift Card ID (I was assuming you have some type of unique identifier)

2024-02-20_12-33-41.png

Labels