Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Use of "With Statement" subqueries

AlleghenyAnalyst12
7 - Meteor

I've seen this asked a couple of times, but not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer.

I have a number of involved SQL queries that utilizes the "WITH" Statement subquery format. Something like:

WITH TBL_A AS (
SELECT * FROM <SOMETHING> WHERE <CONDITION>),

TBL_B AS (SELECT * FROM TBL_A WHERE <CONDITION>)

SELECT * FROM TBL_B;

It would be nice to be able to just drop this code into an IN-DB connection, but it seems like Alteryx doesn't like the WITH statement, because on the backend it's basically creating WITH statements whenever it is doing the data manipulation. I was informed to nose around the Dynamic In-DB tool, and indeed you can see the SQL statements it generates do use the WITH statement, and I got the impression that I can somehow use these dynamic tools to be able to incorporate my WITH statement queries. Currently I'm re-writing everything in Alteryx which is a pain since some things are just easier in SQL - not to mention I already have the scripts. Thanks for the help. 

13 REPLIES 13
simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@jdmintonOh, yes, I misunderstood the elsewhere. Something more like a stored procedure or view? You can already create a view that use a CTE. And then use the view in connect in db or input tool.

For in-db tools, I guess it depends of the adressed market. In France, I can assure you it's widely used on all the big projects because that's something the vendors insist on. On my actual project, on 170 users, something like 150 use in-db tools. On my previous project, that was 70 on 70. Etc, etc. (Of course, I don't know all the projects in France but I have contacts on all the big ones and on these, whereas the vendor is my employer or another vendor, in-db is a huge feature... it's a small world ^^... and we're not present as Inspire because it's too far for us ). I would explain that by two reaons : Alteryx entered the french market only two years before the in-db, so there were only a few projects where the vendor didn't mention in-db... also, with lower salaries, we sell less than in the US, more focused on data-intensive projects to keep a good ROI. But I have to admit I have no idea of the US market, I only know that Alteryx sells a lot to accounting companies, which is not the case here (mostly bank and insurances).

Best regards,

Simon

Jason_
8 - Asteroid

I had a similar issue today with the regular input tool. The method suggested by @BrandonB worked perfectly

Original statement that was not working:
   WITH x AS ([SELECT CLAUSE]),
   y AS ([SELECT CLAUSE])
   SELECT <fields> FROM x INNER JOIN y on x.PK = y.FK

New statement that resolved the issue:
SELECT * FROM

(

WITH x AS ([SELECT CLAUSE]),
   y AS ([SELECT CLAUSE])
   SELECT <fields> FROM x INNER JOIN y on x.PK = y.FK

)

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @Jason_ 

It depends of your database. If you're lucky enough, nesting of CTE is supported.

But in Hive it wasn't (still not ?) : https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Usage-of-with-clause-in-hive/m-p/289960

Best regards,

Simon

Jason_
8 - Asteroid

@simonaubert_bd wrote:

Hello @Jason_ 

It depends of your database. If you're lucky enough, nesting of CTE is supported.

But in Hive it wasn't (still not ?) : https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/Usage-of-with-clause-in-hive/m-p/289960

Best regards,

Simon

Agree. My Snowflake WITH clauses run just fine. I see the issue specifically with Oracle using an OCI connection.

Labels