Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Use of Parameters in Alteryx

legwu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am trying to use a numerical parameter for an operation in Alteryx and I am unsure how to do this.

Essentially, I have data with numerical values and a table of rates. I simply want to upload both and apply the rates to the numerical values using the 'Formula' tool. I have uploaded a spreadsheet to show what I am trying to do.

When I use 'Input Data' for the rates and attempt to join this to the 'Formula' tool, this does not work.

A potential work around (also included in the example) would add the parameters as new fields with the rate repeated over rows, and I can then use them in the 'Formula' function. But I don't know how to do this either.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Lincoln

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@legwu 
Is something like this?

1207-legwu.PNG

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @legwu,

I have created a workflow for you. I don't have identical values as I copy pasted the inputs to excel and there is a rounding error but it should give you a solid understanding how this can be achieved.

Append Tool is quite useful in the situation like this but before we can use it we need to filter the data to add the information only to the respected lines. 

The workflow:

Emil_Kos_0-1607332259712.png

The output:

Emil_Kos_1-1607332268073.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Qiu,

Good idea with using getword function to create a parametr column.

I will remember this one! 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@legwu 
Sorry, I misunderstood you afte I checked it again.

1207-legwu-1.PNG

legwu
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks. This certainly works. I can assign a parameter to the Company Bought/Sold data and to the Parameter information, and then join them.

I'm thinking though, is there a way to, and whilst I recognise this is quite inefficient, to append each parameter as a series of fields at the end? This will allow me to use multiple parameters for each row, rather then just one.

For example, if I had another column named Tax (added to the example attached), I can then use a formula for my Post-Rate figure, using multiple parameters based on any requirement on the other fields. This allows for more flexibility.

Whilst assigning input values as parameters would be the easiest way (and I don't think this is possible in Alteryx) is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards,

Lincoln

Labels