Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Python code using Action Tool

ghwallis
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone, I just recently started using the Python Tool in Designer and wanting to update an authentication "Key" whenever the user opens the workflow which would be run as a Analytic app. I have highlighted the section of code I want to change every time. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Python1.jpg

Python2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ghwallis 

I suggest you to update a text input tool, and import this cell inside of the python tool. Its a better option, because you can isolate exactly the field that you want to update without any more complications. I use this method a lot and it works fine.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668428216109.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1668428274494.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1668428257776.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alternatively, you could use the Alteryx Python SDK to build this into a tool and pass the value via the tool UI config: https://help.alteryx.com/developer-help/ayx-python-sdk-v2 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

o.k. so it looks like it sometimes works if you have two action tools (one for Notebook and one for specialCellMetadata). R definitely works. The easiest way to do this is updating a text input tool and then bringing that into Python.

ghwallis
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you all for the comments. I got it working with Mr. Felipe's recommendation. 

Labels