Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Filter Value with Aciton and Text Box

dholsey
5 - Atom

I am unsure where my workflow is going wrong. I have a workflow with a basic filter. I wan to update that filter criteria based on a text input. Each time I try running it, however, I get no output. My configs are attached. 

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

8 REPLIES 8
Inactive User
Not applicable

Make sure operand value is selected in the action, which it appears to be. This may be a silly question but you have no output hence why you are not getting any outputs. You need either a temporary render or a file output to see the result set at the end of the app. 

Also - make sure your filter value matches the value within your data stream; if it does not then the filter argument will be false.

dholsey
5 - Atom

Thanks for the help. I thought this would work with just a browse output but attaching a true output allowed the workflow to run with outputs. 

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can make an Analytic App display the output from a Browse tool you just need to tick it within the Interface Designer:

2017-10-25_07-45-14.jpg

One other option to the action tool is to connect the output of the Textbox directly to the filter tool:

2017-10-25_07-46-32.jpg

You have to then use a Custom Filter but it removes the need of an Action tool.

mihir306
5 - Atom

I am facing a similar situation but in filter I am passing the IF else condition and final output is only taking the else condition or the basic filter value which for me is Year = 2018. I want to use a conditional function and based on text input for any year I should get that particular year's result. Any help would be appreciated.

mihir306
5 - Atom

Nevermind I figured out the solution to it. I was using If Else in Filter and was expecting values of Years to be filtered accordingly. Instead, I now used Years now in a List and used Replace for each values and it worked.

bb213
8 - Asteroid

Is there any way this could be updated to take in multiple values?  Say the user wanted to enter 3, 4, or 5 different values in the text box at the same time.  How would this workflow need to be updated? 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Yes its possible but id go a different way wit this then.

Lets say your user inputs the list as comma seperated within the text box interface tool.

I would use this to overwrite a placeholder in a text input.

You can then use the ‘text to columns’ to split the list to rows on the comma.

Finally you can do a join against this list which basically performs your filter.

Ben
Fz
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

Please, I have same problem. I wan to update that filter criteria based on a string input . I try running it, however, I get no output. 

I attache a screenshot of the open debug windows and woorkflow

Thank you !!!!!!

Capture.PNGCaptur.PNG

Labels