Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union tool fails with disabled containers in anaytic app

cpapaioannou
7 - Meteor

Hello guys,

It's my first post to the community since I am quite stuck with this one.

I have a complex workflow with 30 Containers, each with a different process. They all have the same output template so I use a Union Tool to gather them all together. However, the user can choose how many of these processes (containers) he/she needs to run. So some of the containers are disabled and the Union returns the error "input not initialized". 

Attached a sample image of the process. E.G. container 3 will lead to an error in Union tool.

I've read very interesting stuff in the community but I did not find one that matches my case. I was thinking of dummy data replacing the disabled containers or detour tool but didn't quite manage it yet.

The matter is a bit urgent so I would really appreciate some help here. Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cpapaioannou ,

Would you be able to share a small workflow reproducing your error? Or at least a screenshot showing how the exact container is built?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

cpapaioannou
7 - Meteor

Thank you Fernando for your prompt reply. In my effort to show you one container, it seems as I accidentally found the issue.

I had one formula between the container and the union tool (outside the container) which was causing the error. From what I understand now, it will only work if the union's source is directly within the container. I'll test it extensively and come back if the issue persists.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think I encountered this problem once before and the way I got around it was to use a dynamic select tool.

So basically, insert a dynamic select tool between each container and the Union tool. It might work without any additional config (try that first) or you might have to build a rule in the dynamic select tool that just lets all your fields through, like

Select via formula

[Name] != 'dummy name'

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm glad to have indirectly help you!! 🙂

Mark your answer as correct so it would help other users with the same problem.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Shreyash41
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am facing similar problem with different tool. I tried using Dynamic select but didn't achieve expected outcome. Could your idea be implemented in my case?

I am trying to implement a workflow , where multiple attributes are validated and final data is displayed in a single o/p file. I have broken down comparison of every attribute to its own individual workflow(Inside a tool container) based on requirement, but i run into error if i try to disable any of tool containers (my project has 19 attributes so 19 tool containers). Is it possible to implement a solution around this. I want to give end user option to choose attributes to be validated.

Shreyash41_0-1642582615065.png

Thanks in advance!

cpapaioannou
7 - Meteor

Yes, I think I understand your issue here @Shreyash41.

Based on the screenshot you provided, disabling one container would error with "input not properly initialized". The trick is to include within the container ALL the tools which lead to union. In other words, in my understanding, Union has no issue if one of the inputs is in a closed container. 

Here you should just include all dynamic selects in their respective container and you should be fine.

Let me know if this helped.

Shreyash41
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Thanks for getting back on this so quickly. Really appreciate it!

I tried placing the input tool within each container (same for dynamic select), the error I am getting is -input was configured but is missing. Am I missing anything here. Is multi-join configured to handle something like this?

Thanks

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Shreyash41 

What version of Alteryx are you on? I looked at this in 2021.3 and in the example below, I can disable some containers with causing an error.

DavidP_0-1642679621109.png

Shreyash41
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm using Alteryx Designer 2020.2

Also i'm trying to achieve same effect while using multi-join

The error i get after disabling any of the tool-containers is that the input is configured but was missing.

Thanks

Labels