Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trying to find the Date Difference using the Multi-Row Formula

jeprime
7 - Meteor

I am struggling to calculate the dates of service between two dates. While I believe there is something simple I am missing, it evades my comprehension. I am using the multi-row formula to attempt to calculate the datetime differences between two dates adjacent in the same column. My results is always null, and I cannot understand why. I even tried to just make a simple calculation for an end date using the formula function and then calculating the difference using the multi-formula tool - still results in null. Any help?

Workflow Example:

workflow example date diff.png

Workflow Input:

sample input.png

Workflow Results:

workflow results.png

11 REPLIES 11
TimN
13 - Pulsar

How about this...

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Check the configuration? Seems to work ok with the below config. 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Looks exactly the same as yours but worked for me...  

jeprime
7 - Meteor

The issue was that I had marked the Group By marked on the variable DateTime_Out . 

issue problem.png

When I unmarked it, it worked perfectly.  See corrected example:

issue solution.png

and corrected results:

workflow solution results.png

jeprime
7 - Meteor

Thanks - I noticed that in your configuration, you did not select a group by from the table. I unselected it from mine and it worked perfectly. Much appreciated!

jeprime
7 - Meteor

Your example also proved that one simple error can mess up the entire thing, AND that collaboration in developing is pertinent to good programming. Thanks so much. 

jeprime
7 - Meteor

Now that the initial problem has been solved, I wonder if anyone could provide an answer as to when the GROUP BY portion would be best utilized and for what purpose?

TimN
13 - Pulsar
LiliR
5 - Atom

Hi, I have an issue related to the multi row formula. In my case I'm grouping two records/rows by the name of a client and I'm using the difference formula between dates. In the majority of cases I have two records for the same client and I can find the days between records, but I get a null value when there are no prior records. What can I do when there is not a prior record of that client and instead of getting null, I want to get zero days? Thanks!

Labels