Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

The database size is increasing by double

Sshasnk
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow where I push 600mbs of data in the database as delete and append but every time I run the workflow the consumption goes double while the number of records remains the same. When I overwrite the table then the consumption goes back to 600mbs. Can any one help me with this

2 REPLIES 2
wesley18mendonca_
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Sshasnk

It seems that the behavior you're observing in Alteryx Designer is related to how the data is being handled during the workflow execution. When you use the approach of deletion and addition, data duplication may be occurring, causing the database size to increase.

You can double-check what is going on in Alteryx by using the log file, if it is enabled. To enable this, you can edit the User Settings as shown below:

logimage.png

Furthermore, if possible, use the option to overwrite the table directly instead of delete and add, as this ensures only the new data is present.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Sshasnk 

You haven't mentioned what db you're using but it sounds like "delete and append" is deleting the records without recovering tablespace.  When you write the next batch of records, they expand the size of the file to twice what it was originally.  "Overwrite" is performing an operation which does recover the tablespace, so the new database file starts for zero and grows to the previous size when you add the records back.  

If overwrite recovers the space and that's what you require, you should probably use that.  

Dan

Labels