Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Test tool to flag input and output are not the same type

Sammy22
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a file which i upload into an SQL database using Alteryx. I want to make sure the input file (which is usually in excel) has not changed some of the fields into a different type (string, bool double) to what sql is expecting. I want to use a test tool to flag an error if it identifies the input field is a different type. Basically i need to make sure the input has the same field types as the SQL table so it doesn't reject it. Not sure how to do this so would appreciate some help!

3 REPLIES 3
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Sammy22 

If your goal is to convert column datatype to an expected data type you can use select tool to set or force datatype as required.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Sammy22 ,

You can use the "Field Info" tool to get types for all your fields as data then use it to check if they are good !

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Sammy22 

If you want to get notified whenever the datatype has got changed you can use block like below to throw an error message.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1626611782239.png

1. You need to have a lookup table with predefined field names and its datatype used.

2. Using field info get field names and data type of current input file.

3. Using join tool we will look into the left unjoin to identify is there any changes.

4. Using a message if there is any new fields (i,e row number from left un-join > 0) then it triggers an error message. If datatype are matched left unjoin will be 0 (i,e row number = 0) so no error message will be triggered.

Hope this helps : )

Labels