Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sum not matching sum on browse tool

maygross
8 - Asteroid

Im trying to get a split % per subscriber. Each subscriber has their own usage amount by MB. My plan was to use a sum tool to total the MB usage column, then append it, then use a formula to divide each individual usage amount by the total. I'm coming across a couple issues here and need some help. The sum tool tells me I have 48 billion mb, however, the browse tool says I have 436 million mb when I click on the column. Then I tried to filter out the 0's but that still is not the same value. I honestly dont even know which value is actually correct here. After my split formula, the total amount for that column should also be 1, which it isnt. My initial data type was fixed decimal, then I changed it to double and that still didnt fix the issue. Does anyone have a solution for this?

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

6 REPLIES 6
Raj
14 - Magnetar

Share some sample data. will try to help with the flow.

maygross
8 - Asteroid

I dont really have the ability to do that, this is confidential information and like 18 million rows of data. I dont think sample data would show the same problem anyways. Do you have any idea on what might cause this issue?

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@maygross are you running with an AMP engine on? As that can sometimes cause some hiccups with the summarisation tool

Hsolmaz
7 - Meteor

If your data exceeds the 300 MB limit in the Browse tool during Data Profiling, You should rely on the Summarize tool instead. Here

maygross
8 - Asteroid

Thats actually super helpful to know, my data is 364 MB in the browse tool. However, when i filter out 0's and then browse, its under 300 MB but the total is still different from the sum tool... Also, I still have the issue of my split total not equaling 1. Any other ideas?

sirelandcbre
6 - Meteoroid

Depending how close you are to that 300MB, I wonder if the MB shown was the persistent compressed yxdb file size saved to disk as opposed to the MB of RAM required to keep the uncompressed data preview in memory?

Labels