Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting one column in two while keeping values grouped together

Machal
5 - Atom

Hi Community,

I have an input data set, that contains data for group names and it's members in a single column. I'd like to split the data into two columns so that the group name is in the column1 and group member is in the column2. Only difference, or pattern I was able to find is, that group names are always in UPPER case only letters, while members are never upper case only. I was able to split the data into two columns using Regex and Filter tool, but it didn't really solve my problem, because I need to keep the Group - member relationship. Please see the sample of Data input and desired output below:

Data input:

Column1
ABC_GROUP
BCD_GROUP
MemBer2
DEF_GROUP
MEMber3
member5

Desired output:

Column1Column2
ABC_GROUPMember
BCD_GROUPMember
BCD_GROUPMemBer2
DEF_GROUPMEMber3
DEF_GROUPmember5

Thank you for all your suggestions!

2 REPLIES 2
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Machal,

I think this is what you're trying to achieve? You'll want to pivot your data - using the crosstab tool in this case

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Machal
5 - Atom

Thank you very much for such a quick answer @Jonathan-Sherman that's exactly what I needed!

I'll definitely need to wrap my head around how the Crosstab in combination with Multirow formula tool works - the workflow you provided will definitely help me in that regard.

Have a great day!

Labels