Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Split text

OOIWJ
7 - Meteor

Some of my description contains date information (see image) and I wish to separate the date into a new column. However, if I were to use the Text-to-column tool, I would not be able to keep those descriptions that does not contain date information in their original form. 

Further, I have some rows that I wish to remove.

Any solution?

4 REPLIES 4
JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @OOIWJ 

You can parse this using Regex with something like the following, which will only parse the date into a new column if the pattern (numbers/numbers) is found.

image.png

OOIWJ
7 - Meteor

After separating the date into one column, I want to bring the remaining description into a new column. How do I proceed? Thank you.

Hi!

To add to @JamesCharnley's response, you can build on to the Regex Parse to include the description in a 2nd column. I also added a filter for Field1 - does not contain "PERIOD". However, if you have the word "PERIOD" in the other text you will need a different filter.

Does that work for you?

Split Text Screenshot.PNG

OOIWJ
7 - Meteor

Nice, then how do I bring the "CASH - UB - COLLATERAL" to the Description column too? But I don't want the "PERIOD..." row. 

Context: I am currently in the process of cleaning a General Ledger Excel file using Alteryx. Would you be interested in reviewing the Excel file? I am more than happy to provide it for your inspection. 

Thank you!

Labels