Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sorting sheets on Excel Output

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I need your help, please.

I have my Alteryx workflow with several outputs that have to be placed on the excel file in the same order that is into the workflow.

I'm getting the excel file but the sheets are in different sort order.

How can I get the sheets in the same order as the workflow is the output is sorted?

Please find attached my workflow and the output that I'm getting

Regards,

Gilberto

7 REPLIES 7
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @glombard ,

You're on the right track using Block Until Done, but you need to create a link between the different streams to get the desired behaviour*.

A technique I often use is to:

1) From the 2 or 3 output of your first Block Until Done add a Summarize tool

2) In Summarize calculate the count of any field (or any other operation that will only generate ONE record)

3) Append this single record to your second stream and make sure the appended field is NOT selected (this means you are basically appending nothing)

4) Repeat as needed

You can see this in the below screenshot:

jamielaird_0-1617048758198.png

* technically a set of unlinked Block Until Done tools can be used to control the output order (they will execute in order based on the Tool ID) but I don't generally recommend this approach

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi @jamielaird 

Thank you for your help and comments.

I did what you suggested but I'm not getting the results needed on the sheets order.

Please find attached my workflow updated and let me know what I did wrong.

I appreciate your help on this matter.

Regards,

Gilberto

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @glombard ,

Please attach your workflow as a Packaged Workbook and I'll then be able to run it to diagnose the issue properly. At the moment I can only see your tool configurations, and not the actual data. I recommend using dummy data or obscuring any sensitive information before packaging it up.

Many thanks,

Jamie

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi @jamielaird 

Please find attached the file.

Let me know if it is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Gilberto

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @glombard ,

I've made some changes to your workflow that should ensure it writes out the sheets in the correct order.

You had a few too many Block Until Done tools. You only need one before each output in each stream (most of your streams had two).

I've also attached a simpler workflow that demonstrates the concept on a smaller scale. In the context of your workflow, here's a screenshot showing how this translates:

jamielaird_0-1617113053242.png

Let me know how you get on with this.

Jamie

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi @jamielaird 

Thank you so much for your help.

The solution provided is working flowless.

I appreciate your help and time on this matter.

Regards,

Gilberto

Arvinchester
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Using this technique, will I also be able to individually set the Page Width for each sheets?

Labels