Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Single File Browse to multiple input tools - Works in Desktop but not on Server

tsmittenaar
5 - Atom

I'm creating an app that will be running on Alteryx Server. The process starts with the user completing an input template (Excel file with multiple tabs). I have a File Browse tool set up to allow the user to select their input file. From there, it is connected to 6 different action/input tool pairs. Three pull in sheets and three pull in named ranges.

Capture2.PNG

The action tools "Replace a specific string" - each one replaces the entire file path EXCEPT for the sheet or range name. In this example, the entire path other than the range "Contract_Summary" is updated with the user's file.

Capture1.PNG

Running as an app from Designer (desktop), it worked as expected and I proceeded to build the rest of the workflow. Today, when I uploaded it to the Server to continue testing the app with other users, when I browse to my input template file, it then requires that I select a sheet or range. It never required that when not running on the server and the app doesn't work if any of the options provided are selected.

Having 6 separate file browse tools is not feasible (adds unnecessary confusion for the user) nor is changing the input template file. 

Any suggestions on how to get this to work on the Server?

2 REPLIES 2
tsmittenaar
5 - Atom

I've found a solution to this. Not ideal, since the user still needs to make a selection after browsing to the file, but they only need to do this once (rather than 6 times). The user will be directed to select List of Sheet Names.

A single action tool now updates a placeholder value in a text input. From there, a formula tool replaces "|<List of Sheet Names>" with the sheet or range needed. This is connected to a dynamic input tool replacing the entire file path. Additional sheets/ranges can be retrieved by updating the replace formula. During initial testing running on the server, this solution worked in bringing in multiple sheets and ranges. 

Capture.PNG

renanandrade
5 - Atom

sorry but can you pls share the workflow? I'm trying to do the same as I have similar problem! Thanks!

Labels