Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sharepoint tool authentication

squelchie
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have multiple sharepoint tools in my workflow which work correctly and usually run without issue.

When another member of my team accesses and amends the workflow, next time I go into it I am no longer authenticated.  Which kind of makes sense to me, the problem is that I have to re-authenticate to each sharepoint tool individually.

Is there anyway in designer that I can authenticate all at the same time?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @squelchie 

You will need to authenticate them one by one. There isn't a way fast way to connect to 5 SharePoint tools at the same time.

You can use a Client ID / Secret Key in order to configure the SP tool so you can share the workflows with other users. 

I would recommend making some registry edits also on your machine and other users' machine in order to read the Client ID/Secret key (Below are the steps).

Administrators will need to create a new string value PythonAllowHideEncryption under the Alteryx Registry Key:

• Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx
    Value Name: PythonAllowHideEncryption
    Value Data: true
  • Note: This key must be set on each user’s machine as well as on all Worker nodes.
  • Steps to create the new key:
    • Type regedit in Windows Start Menu
    • Browse to the folder location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx
    • Right-click and select New > String Value 
    • Set the KeyName to PythonAllowHideEncryption and the Value to true

PythonAllow.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @squelchie 

One thing that is worth trying and possible would solve this issue is to create a Client ID/Secret Key for your sharepoint site (if you have a sharepoint administrator he can help you with that). This method does not rely on specific users authentication.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1671641217746.png

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @squelchie 

To add to @Felipe_Ribeir0 's post, here is a good video that can walk you through the steps you may need to take to get the secret key and client id information if you are not familiar: How To Test SharePoint Online REST API Using Postman - YouTube

As an alternative, you can also try a system user account to avoid having to leverage user credentials in your workflows. Once the account is created and linked in your organization's active directory, you will be able to permission it through SharePoint, and subsequently use it to authenticate in the SharePoint tools.

Hope this helps!

squelchie
7 - Meteor

Thanks for all your suggestions, it sounds quite technical so I'm going to leave this until the new year!  happy holidays all.

Labels