Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sharepoint Input Tool with conversion error not allowing any data input.

KJMCLEOD
5 - Atom

I am using the Sharepoint Input Tool to go out to a Sharepoint site and fetch an excel file to then use in a workflow.

I continue to get this error message:

Error: SharePoint Input (45): ("Could not convert '-' with type str: tried to convert to double", 'Conversion failed for column - with type object')

This error is preventing me from any data from the file.  I would assume that I could still import the data and then fix any errors with the workflow. I have already double checked all of my configurations and they are correct.

Am I going to have to get the author of the file to change the data?

This workflow has run previously, I don't know what has changed.

Thank you.

Kristin

2 REPLIES 2
DanielG
12 - Quasar

@KJMCLEOD  -- I am getting a similar issue and I can not for the life of me figure out how to resolve it.  Have you been able to figure anything out?  If not, I'd suggest raising a ticket with Alteryx Support as SharePoint tools don't get the same amount of use as some of the more core tools so there are less people available to assist with issues like these.  😊

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@KJMCLEOD 

Just an FYI, I figured out a way around the issue.  First, rather then pulling in the files directly you can download the files into a temp location then process each file individually with a batch macro so you also don't get the weird schema issues that can happen even if your file structures are identical.

This setting is at the bottom of the SharePoint Input Tool

tempfileloc.png

From there you will need to build a simple (or complex, depending on your needs) batch macro to bring the files in one at a time.  I used the select tool to change all fields to text so everything is standardized in my own workflows needs.

Then after you save your macro, you can add it to the workflow where the control parameter is the temp file save path which is from the output of the SharePoint Input Tool.  My process, in testing, handled 21 files with a total of over 800K rows in just about a minute.  Not the quickest, but it works.  😁

***Note that it will appear broken at first and not show you the fields in the control parameter question of the tool config, but once you run it once you will be able to see the field names to pick "Save Path"

macro.png

Labels