Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SharePoint Files Input Tool Truncating Excel Values

MasonC
5 - Atom

When using the SharePoint Files Input tool with an XLSX file, I am noticing it only takes the first ~256 characters from a cell's value. I explored the Data and Options of the tool's Configuration but found nothing that suggests I could alter this behavior for XLSX files, but I did notice that CSV files do have the Max Field Length option, but XLSX does not. What I am hoping is that someone can tell me I am wrong about this part, so that the paragraphs below are moot. 🙂

To ensure the truncation was a problem specifically with this tool and not something else in my workflow, I put a Select and a Browse immediately after the SP Files Input; I then downloaded the relevant file from SharePoint locally and used a regular Input tool to load the same exact file, putting a Select and Browse after it.

Using the Browse tool after the local file input, it warns “This cell has >256 characters” but it still shows the complete value when I double-click. So the value is definitely in the file and Alteryx's Excel driver is functioning correctly.

Using the Browse tool with the SP Files Input tool, the same exact cell (and many others) has all text dropped after somewhere between character 250 - 256. This truncation happens regardless of how big I make the relevant field size in the Select column -- the data beyond ~256 characters simply isn't loaded by the SP Files Input tool itself.

Of course I cannot provide a sample workflow as that would require authentication into SharePoint, and I don't believe providing a basic sample with an Excel file and Input tool is helpful for the topic as a whole.

I am hoping for some advice on if this is a behavioral issue with the SP Files Input tool or if perhaps I have missed something more obvious which would allow the XLSX ingestion to work more like Alteryx's native Excel driver does with the regular Input tool.

0 REPLIES 0
Labels