Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Set up a workflow to run automatically when one process is completed.

Atmaja
5 - Atom

I have a server A and server B. When the data is received it will process data at server A and store the data in database at Server B for Alteryx to process further.
I want my Alteryx workflow to kick off automatically at server B as soon as my data processing is completed at server A and successfully written to server B
can anybody help on how this can be achieved?  Thank you!!

6 REPLIES 6
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Atmaja 

Take a look at this recent topic, you will probably find the answer here:

Automation dependency on another workflow run - Alteryx Community

If the provided answer helped you to solve the problem/was correct, please accept it as a solution :)

Thanks.

Atmaja
5 - Atom

Thank you for your quick response. Is there any way it can be achieved as Event based Trigger? Data Processing on Server A should Automatically trigger Alteryx workflow on server B

koppenhe
7 - Meteor

You can try to have server A launch a bat file to call the workflow. Some documentation was previously referenced here: https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/run-workflows-command-line

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Atmaja 

You can use the Gallery API to programmatically launch a workflow on a server from an external machine.  The details are here. You do have to be careful when calling this.  For instance the Alteryx server does not filter requests to execute a job based on whether the job is currently running or not.  So if you add the api call to an on-update trigger in SQL and 1000 records get updated, you will queue the workflow 1000 times.   

Dan 

Atmaja
5 - Atom

Hi Dan, Thanks for your input. I'm new to Alteryx and I am not aware of the Gallery API. Does it mean we have to set up a trigger on table to call this API?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Atmaja 

Yes.  If you're using SQL, an after update trigger would work well, if you ensure that you only call the API once if inserting multiple rows.

Dan

Labels